The “Muslim Ban” Separates Families, is Blatantly Racist
Source: The National Council of Churches
Published February 4, 2020
Do not neglect to show hospitality to strangers, for by doing that some have entertained angels without knowing it.
-Hebrews 13:2 NRSV
This past Friday, an expansion of the travel ban, often referred to as the “Muslim ban,” was announced that will limit citizens of six more countries -- Nigeria, Eritrea, Tanzania, Kyrgyzstan, Myanmar, and Sudan -- from coming to live and work in the United States. The initial ban, implemented through Executive Order in 2018, limited immigrants from Iran, Libya, Syria, Yemen, Somalia, Venezuela, and North Korea. The National Council of Churches sees the initial ban, as well as its expansion, like other Trump Administration policies limiting immigration and refugee resettlement, as blatantly racist.
The Administration’s policy toward those attempting to come primarily from Muslim-majority and African nations to the US continues to separate families and keeps neighbors and friends from their children, spouses, or parents. It also presupposes that people are unworthy to offer their skills or seek careers or educational opportunities. Furthermore, more people who seek life-saving medical care in the US will be unable to get the aid they need. We seek to build a nation in which the immigrant, the refugee, and the oppressed are free to come and find opportunity and make a home.
This extension of the travel ban is contrary to the spirit of the One who calls us to love our neighbors as ourselves (Matthew 22:36-40 NRSV). This is a central tenet of Christianity; it is central to the beliefs of many, if not all, faiths. We are grateful for the life-giving relationships we have with our neighbors and friends, and we pledge to continue to work together with our partners to welcome, and to defend, each other.
Read statement online here.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
SHARE YOUR OPINION, POST A COMMENT
Fill in the field below to share your opinion and post your comment.
LATEST OPEN LETTERS
- 21-01His Eminence Ayatollah Seyyed Ali Khamenei
- 30-12Support for the Syrian President and the Syrian people
- 05-06To International Community and Leaders around the world
- 03-07Letter of Apology
- 20-05Sace palestine
- 20-05Free Palestine
- 17-05A suggestion for some economics problems
- 15-05Free Palestine
- 04-04A moment of the sound of silence, a prayer for Russia
- 03-04The Gilbratar burn out and how it can be solved peacefully
VIRTUAL POST OFFICE
Latest Blog Articles
- 10-07What Americans think about the looming Israeli annexation and Trump’s Middle East plan
- 09-07Recognizing the state of Palestine is the only appropriate response to Israeli annexation
- 07-07Netanyahu's annexation plan is a sham. Apartheid has been decades in the making
- 30-06For Palestinians, From Hebron to Nablus, Annexation Is Already Here. A Journey Through the West Bank
- 29-06Opinion / Jews Welcome Evangelical Love, Money and Influence for Israel. But Call Our Christianity 'Poison'?
- 28-06Excerpts Apostolic Journey to Ireland
- 21-06Redemtoris Missio
- 16-06A plea to Gantz, Ashkenazi: Israel and its friends need you to block annexation
- 12-06As world roils, Ethiopian-born minister leads ‘wake up’ call on racism in Israel
- 09-06Justice for Iyad, Justice for George