The Great Debate
Taking Off At Full Throttle
Abraham A. van Kempen, Editor
How else? Is there any other way to take off but at full throttle? To eventually soar through the clouds, you’ll need all the torque you can get, maximum thrust to overcome resistance. That’s what it’s going to take to secure real and sustainable peace. In the past, those in command of the peace talks dare not take off at full throttle. The results: one deadlock after the other. Oslo, Ottawa, Shepherdstown, The Wye Plantation, Annapolis, Geneva, Madrid, Nicosia, Washington, D.C., London, Bonn, and Vienna have succeeded in producing stalemates often ending in standoffs with one foot in the stirrup, the other in the sand.
More people should learn how to fly to keep things in balance especially for the safety of the people on board. The Israeli and Palestinian Quest to Coexist can only become a reality when everyone can freely move anywhere and everywhere in the Region without fear. The white elephant in the room is and has always been ‘freedom of movement’, the right of passage.
From my ivory tower, I’ve made some bold proposals, many say impossible to achieve. But freedom of movement dictates open borders. The leadership in the region often act like children. I’d like to see Europe hold them by the hand and take them out of the sandbox (quack mire), if the majority of the people in the region authorize Europe to help both sides to converge toward a workable solution. It has become self-evident that neither side can work out a fair and equitable settlement without Europe, the wealthiest region, the largest economy and the most powerful union the world has ever seen, of former countries at war.
Europe can propose. We may not impose. We can help turn things around, diplomatically and democratically. But the outcome depends on the majority of the Israelis and the majority of the Palestinians; and, the majority on both sides crave peace. It is THEY on each side of the Divide who will have to ask Europe to:
1) Europe apologizes to the Jews and to the Palestinians; 2) Europe measures Israel and Palestine according to one standard; 3) Europe recognizes both Israel and Palestine AND treats not just Israel but also Palestine as a de facto NATO ‘affiliate’ so that NEITHER MAY ATTACK, INVADE AND OCCUPY THE OTHER; 4) Europe engenders the idea of open borders between Israel and Palestine similar to the open borders in the European Union; 5) Europe finances and coordinates restitution and reparations among the warring parties so that one compensates the other for losses incurred; 6) Europe proposes the enforcement of justice and 7) an Act of Reconciliation similar to the one in South Africa; and, 8) Europe guarantees the security for all Israelis and all Palestinians, provided that both VOLUNTARILY demilitarize. (Full disclosure … My True Colors)
What I’ve just outlined above is a take-off at full throttle, with no room for superfluities. At the end of the runway, there’s no turning back. And once you’ve reached optimal altitude, you’ve got to keep yourself in balance. Make sure you can foresee and forestall inevitable turbulence.
Let me make it clear. I’m not going to be the only one soaring through the skies. I want potentially millions of you to get into your own pilot seat, yes from your own plane of existence.
So, get used to taking the left seat of the cockpit, the Captain’s chair. Yes, you’re the captain, I’m your co-pilot. Take charge! Explore the possibilities of your Tool to Move Nations: Making the Means, Methods, and Mechanism for MANY to Move Mountains.
Through the Strength of MANY we intend to persuade the European Union to guarantee authentic security for the people of Israel and the people of Palestine. Sooner than later all can constructively be Living Apart Together in peace.
So when you click on www.buildingthebridge.eu, remember it is YOUR Tool to Move Nations:
- Write and publish open letters to the world leaders (in three clicks) and become part of the dialogue.
- Sign one or all (future) petitions and add your voice to the Strength of Many.
- Start a Petition and take charge in the competition of ideas.
- Review the live stream of news feeds in real time from Israel, from Palestine and from around the world, a global perspective, about Israel and about Palestine.
- And, add your blogs, columns or articles to our Voices of Wisdom; and, of course, do read and comment on all of them.
Finally, www.buildingthebridge.eu is ‘for the people, by the people, of the people’, to quote Abraham Lincoln.
We are pro-Israeli, we are pro-Palestinian and we are, especially, pro-peace. We want the best for the vast majority of Israelis and Palestinians who deserve sustainable peace preceded by authentic security. Everyone deserves to be happy. Everybody wants to wake up to a more fulfilled life. On all sides of the Divide, people do their best to provide for their families. Jews, Christians, and Muslims everywhere whisper the same daily prayer: ‘take care of our children’.
With every good wish to you, my new friends and to your families and to your colleagues, I remain,
Abraham A. van Kempen
Building the Bridge Foundation
The Hague, The Netherlands
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
SHARE YOUR OPINION, POST A COMMENT
Fill in the field below to share your opinion and post your comment.
LATEST OPEN LETTERS
- 06-02Non military defence of Ukraine
- 02-01Avoiding Human Extinction
- 01-06A request to save the disabled children from ISIS
- 08-10Save our mountains
- 21-01His Eminence Ayatollah Seyyed Ali Khamenei
- 30-12Support for the Syrian President and the Syrian people
- 05-06To International Community and Leaders around the world
- 03-07Letter of Apology
- 20-05Sace palestine
- 20-05Free Palestine
VIRTUAL POST OFFICE
Latest Blog Articles
- 05-10Our Wednesday News Analysis | Zionism During the Holocaust: The Weaponization of Memory in the Service of State and Nation – Book Review
- 04-10Opinion | It’s Become Taboo to Speak of Hope
- 04-10Palestine needs to be backed by a vision
- 04-10Zionism During the Holocaust: The Weaponization of Memory in the Service of State and Nation – Book Review
- 03-10The Evangelical Pope | Love One Another!
- 30-09Our Friday News Analysis | In Search of a Nation's Soul (Part 4)
- 30-09NATO tested underwater ‘equipment’ close to Nord Stream – Moscow
- 30-09Who wins from demolishing the EU’s gas lifelines?
- 30-09Explosions at Nord Stream 'can only be attacks'
- 29-09Ex-Polish FM thanks US for destruction of Russian gas pipeline
- 28-09Our Wednesday News Analysis | Gaza’s Children Can Only Dream of What Yair Lapid's Daughter Has