The Great Debate
President-Elect Trump…Will You Deliver?
The Times of Israel, NOVEMBER 9, 2016, 9:00 PM
By: Abraham A. van Kempen
The Hague, The Netherlands
Dear Mr. President-Elect,
Though I could not fathom a Trump Presidency; a heartfelt congratulations, nonetheless. I thought I understood America. I am beginning to understand Americans. What a humbling experience. And now we must adapt to the new realities because truth, real or imagined, dictates.
You’ve brought to the world stage a disenfranchised America, a desperate silent majority, transcending race, gender, religion and socioeconomic status. A single male, earning $133,000 per year can barely make it in New York City. A bag of groceries, even in rural America, now costs a small fortune. America’s middle class clock in more hours compared to earlier generations to put less bread on the table.
And starting in January 2017 Americans want results, instant gratification. Can you perform? Will you deliver?
You can, together with a Republican Congress, repeal and ‘replace’ Obama Care. But can you overhaul the American healthcare system? Will you guarantee optimum health so that Americans remain fit to work, work, work? How will you renovate and rebuild America’s infrastructure, America’s hidden deficit – highways, airports, mass transit – to enable Americans to go and come home from work? What about education and retraining to make and keep America competitive? How can you motivate the American job creators to invest in America’s own, to improve and fortify the factors of production, to provide jobs, jobs, jobs – good paying jobs – for all Americans, especially for those on the bottom?
And finally can you, will you build the bridge to bring America back together again?
With every good wish to you, Mr. Trump and to members of your families and to all the good people in America, I remain,
Abraham A. van Kempen
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
SHARE YOUR OPINION, POST A COMMENT
Fill in the field below to share your opinion and post your comment.
LATEST OPEN LETTERS
- 08-10Save our mountains
- 21-01His Eminence Ayatollah Seyyed Ali Khamenei
- 30-12Support for the Syrian President and the Syrian people
- 05-06To International Community and Leaders around the world
- 03-07Letter of Apology
- 20-05Sace palestine
- 20-05Free Palestine
- 17-05A suggestion for some economics problems
- 15-05Free Palestine
- 04-04A moment of the sound of silence, a prayer for Russia
VIRTUAL POST OFFICE
Latest Blog Articles
- 16-04The Jewish Women Who Posed an 'Existential Threat' to Israel by Marrying Arab Men
- 15-04Analysis | Israel at 73: Alive, Kicking and Ailing
- 13-04Opinion | They're Israel's Far Right, Pro-ethnic Cleansing Nationalists. But Don't Call Them 'Nazis'
- 13-04The Three-State Solution
- 13-04Why I left the cult
- 13-04The US media is touting Israel’s Covid recovery. But occupied Palestinians are left out
- 12-04The Evangelical Pope | Love One Another!
- 07-04William Barber preaches at Easter vigil service spotlighting Christian Palestinians
- 06-04Opinion | A President in Handcuffs: Why Palestinians Should Vote for Barghouti
- 06-04Blinken tells Israel: Palestinians should enjoy same rights, freedoms as you do
- 06-04Israel is losing the fight to obscure its apartheid character