Israeli human rights lawyer in detention without defence or trial, a victim of judicial abuse
Source: Redress Information & Analysis
Published 18th May 2017
An Israeli human rights lawyer who for over seven years wrote to the United Nations requesting help for children and families damaged by Israeli judicial corruption is now himself a victim of illegal arrest and detention.
Zvi Zer’s impending trial in September this year will be a field day for public officials, including judges and social workers, who have been exposed by two bloggers and by Mr Zer.
On 27 February Israeli police carried out a wave of arrests of activists, some of whom were interrogated and subsequently detained, while others were put under house arrest and had limitations imposed on their use of the internet.
Of those who were detained, three were kept in detention – two bloggers and the human rights lawyer, Mr Zer, described in the Israeli mainstream media as “a cyber terror gang”. The initial flurry of media attention showed that, in the eyes of the elite, the prisoners were already guilty.
After 40 days of interrogations, 91 charges were lodged against the activists, who are accused of insulting public officials. Mr Zer faces 41 charges of conspiracy with the bloggers. The decision was made to hold the prisoners in detention until the end of proceedings – January 2018.
This contravenes both Israeli and international law, and is a flagrant violation of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, which in part states:
No one shall be subjected to arbitrary arrest, detention or exile.
Everyone is entitled in full equality to a fair and public hearing by an independent and impartial tribunal, in the determination of his rights and obligations and of any criminal charge against him.
(1) Everyone charged with a penal offence has the right to be presumed innocent until proved guilty according to law in a public trial at which he has had all the guarantees necessary for his defence.
(2) No one shall be held guilty of any penal offence on account of any act or omission which did not constitute a penal offence, under national or international law, at the time when it was committed. Nor shall a heavier penalty be imposed than the one that was applicable at the time the penal offence was committed.
Mr Zer’s attorney, Avi Amiram, regards the detention of his client as illegal as almost three months have passed with the police and prosecution failing to provide some 20,000 documents that are essential for the commencement of defence proceedings. Matters have reached the point where the lawyer actually has to purchase the evidence!
Getting a fair trial is also a concern. Mr Zer is the founder of the Coalition for Children and Families Israel – CCF Israel), a civil society body campaigning for justice, including by lobbying the UN and other international organisations. He was targeted in 2012 after a UN rapporteur visited Israel, and has been under scrutiny ever since.
Deemed too dangerous to be placed under house arrest, which in Israel requires an assessment by the welfare services to establish his level of “danger”, he is enduring at first hand the humiliation and degradation experienced by many clients he rescued and petitioned for.
His defence lawyer says Mr Zer is the first lawyer in history to be held in arbitrary detention without evidence.
Detention centres in Israel are full to bursting with people held awaiting evidence. The legal system is crumbling and failing to uphold even its own laws.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
SHARE YOUR OPINION, POST A COMMENT
Fill in the field below to share your opinion and post your comment.
LATEST OPEN LETTERS
- 21-01His Eminence Ayatollah Seyyed Ali Khamenei
- 30-12Support for the Syrian President and the Syrian people
- 05-06To International Community and Leaders around the world
- 03-07Letter of Apology
- 20-05Sace palestine
- 20-05Free Palestine
- 17-05A suggestion for some economics problems
- 15-05Free Palestine
- 04-04A moment of the sound of silence, a prayer for Russia
- 03-04The Gilbratar burn out and how it can be solved peacefully
VIRTUAL POST OFFICE
Latest Blog Articles
- 07-04What Do We Do Now? Larger Lessons From The Pandemic
- 03-04Our Finest Hour
- 02-04Beyond Fear: The Civilization of Love …
- 31-03Ecumenical Organizations Join in Unprecedented Call
- 24-03The coronavirus isn’t alive. That’s why it’s so hard to kill.
- 24-03Human rights org calls on Israel to release all Palestinian child detainees in response to COVID-19 crisis
- 23-03'Trump Is Right About the Coronavirus. The WHO Is Wrong,' Says Israeli Expert
- 20-03Coronavirus explained: 22 questions with epidemiologist guiding Israeli response
- 20-03Take Charge with God …
- 17-03Better Safe than Sorry
- 16-03A Test of Our Faith and Our Society