By: Victoria Safford
"Our mission is to plant ourselves at the gates of Hope — not the prudent gates of Optimism, which are somewhat narrower; nor the stalwart, boring gates of Common Sense; nor the strident gates of Self-Righteousness, which creak on shrill and angry hinges (people cannot hear us there; they cannot pass through); nor the cheerful, flimsy garden gate of “Everything is gonna be all right.”
But a different, sometimes lonely place, the place of truth-telling, about your own soul first of all and its condition, the place of resistance and defiance, the piece of ground from which you see the world both as it is and as it could be, as it will be; the place from which you glimpse not only struggle, but joy in the struggle.
And we stand there, beckoning and calling, telling people what we are seeing, asking people what they see.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
SHARE YOUR OPINION, POST A COMMENT
Fill in the field below to share your opinion and post your comment.
LATEST OPEN LETTERS
- 08-10Save our mountains
- 21-01His Eminence Ayatollah Seyyed Ali Khamenei
- 30-12Support for the Syrian President and the Syrian people
- 05-06To International Community and Leaders around the world
- 03-07Letter of Apology
- 20-05Sace palestine
- 20-05Free Palestine
- 17-05A suggestion for some economics problems
- 15-05Free Palestine
- 04-04A moment of the sound of silence, a prayer for Russia
VIRTUAL POST OFFICE
Latest Blog Articles
- 21-10Understanding American Jewish Philanthropy
- 18-10The Challenge of Today's World … Faithful to One's Roots
- 16-10Pro-Israel groups reportedly break law, media & Congress look the other way
- 15-10Beyond Confirmation Bias … A New World Order?
- 13-10An Evangelical Understanding of Jews and Judaism
- 13-10The future of Israel and Palestine
- 11-10Human Dignity … The Fundamental Principle
- 06-10Opinion / Israel's Founding Generation of Looters
- 06-10Young evangelicals are defying their elders' politics
- 04-10JOY … Despite Trials and Suffering
- 30-09A Noble Pursuit … A Sustainable Peace!