‘Everyone’s a Suspect.’ Six Former Israeli Soldiers Speak
Source: The New York Times
By Rona Segal
Published November, 2021
Director Rona Segal learned filmmaking in the Israeli army.
Now, she turns the camera on her fellow soldiers.
WATCH THE VIDEO HERE
I joined the army when I was 18 years old. Military service is mandatory in Israel (with few exemptions) and we’re instructed to never doubt its necessity. But I wanted to make films, so I maneuvered my way into the Israel Defense Forces’ film unit.
The army is where I learned the craft of filmmaking, and making the short documentary above allowed me to go back to those years. But now, as an independent filmmaker, I have a different perspective, a perspective that most 18-year-olds simply don’t have.
Here, ex-soldiers share their accounts of day-to-day operations on the ground in Hebron, the largest Palestinian city in the West Bank. They offer a view that has rarely been seen by the public.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
SHARE YOUR OPINION, POST A COMMENT
Fill in the field below to share your opinion and post your comment.
LATEST OPEN LETTERS
- 01-06A request to save the disabled children from ISIS
- 08-10Save our mountains
- 21-01His Eminence Ayatollah Seyyed Ali Khamenei
- 30-12Support for the Syrian President and the Syrian people
- 05-06To International Community and Leaders around the world
- 03-07Letter of Apology
- 20-05Sace palestine
- 20-05Free Palestine
- 17-05A suggestion for some economics problems
- 15-05Free Palestine
VIRTUAL POST OFFICE
Latest Blog Articles
- 03-12UN envoy warns of risk of new Israel-Palestinian violence
- 02-12Do China and Russia want to replace the US as mediators in the Israeli-Palestinian conflict?
- 30-11These Jewish Migrants Survived Pogroms, Riots and Famine. Then They Were Faced With Zionist Cruelty
- 30-11Ultra-Orthodox Aliyah to Israel Is Breaking Records. Here's Why
- 30-11Anti-Zionist Jews are ‘Jews in name only’ and ‘more dangerous than external antisemitic threat’ — Chicago Reform rabbi
- 29-11The Evangelical Pope | Let's pause and reason together.
- 26-11Our Washington Watch | Is What's Good for America, Good for Israel?
- 25-11A series of unfortunate Thanksgiving events – and their upside for Jews
- 25-11Who is the outlier, Trump or Biden? The answer means much to the world
- 23-11To the students who walked out on Palestinian-Israeli dialogue
- 23-11Joint Letter to Senators Supporting Passage of Gaza Reporting Amendment