Annexation was always on Israel’s agenda
Source: Jews for Justice for Palestinians
The Electric Intifada
Published 17 July 2020
David Ben-Gurion, here in 1948 announcing Israel’s foundation, was always clear that Israeli territory should expand. World History Archive)
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s plans to “annex” parts of the West Bank have been widely denounced on the international stage as a violation of international law.
Such condemnations, however, have been both hypocritical and wide of the mark. They fail to take into account that annexation was the plan from the outset. They fail also to highlight the world’s own decades-long acquiescence with the ongoing de facto annexation that has been the reality on the ground in occupied territory, most obviously in the form of Israeli settlements.
Indeed, the US has accepted if not openly supported what Noam Chomsky calls the Greater Israel project, a process that has been ongoing for 50 years. This is the reality on the ground. And it doesn’t make much difference if it is formalized.
The fact of the matter is that throughout its history, Israel has been reluctant to accept any internationally recognized borders, choosing instead to build settlements and occupy land.
Moshe Dayan, a chief of staff in the Israeli military during the 1950s and the defense minister during the 1967 war, was quite explicit. Israel, he said during the negotiations with the Jimmy Carter administration that preceded the 1978 Camp David summit between Israel and Egypt, “has every right to be [in the West Bank]. Any division of the area is unacceptable … A West Bank-Gaza state is not a solution”.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
SHARE YOUR OPINION, POST A COMMENT
Fill in the field below to share your opinion and post your comment.
LATEST OPEN LETTERS
- 08-10Save our mountains
- 21-01His Eminence Ayatollah Seyyed Ali Khamenei
- 30-12Support for the Syrian President and the Syrian people
- 05-06To International Community and Leaders around the world
- 03-07Letter of Apology
- 20-05Sace palestine
- 20-05Free Palestine
- 17-05A suggestion for some economics problems
- 15-05Free Palestine
- 04-04A moment of the sound of silence, a prayer for Russia
VIRTUAL POST OFFICE
Latest Blog Articles
- 22-11The Gift of Faith …
- 20-11UN Votes Overwhelmingly in Support of Palestinian Self-determination
- 20-11A Palestinian perspective on the U.S. election
- 17-11Trump or No Trump, Religious Authoritarianism Is Here to Stay
- 16-11On Being with Krista Tippett
- 15-11Open the Door to Solidarity [Unity] …
- 12-11Pastor Robert Jeffress: Biden is president-elect — how should Christians respond?
- 10-11Analysis | In a post-Trump World, Israeli Politics Will Never Be the Same
- 10-11Abbas Congratulates Biden, but Arabs Doubt New President Will Herald Change
- 10-11Opinion | Look at Trump and You'll See the Israelis
- 10-11Analysis | U.S.-Israel Relations Will Continue Comfortably With Biden as President