Trump: Palestinians Aren't Looking to Making Peace – but I'm Not Sure Israel Is Either
By Noa Landau
Published Feb 11, 2018
In interview with Sheldon Adelson-owned Israeli newspaper, U.S. president also says Israeli settlements complicate the task of making peace
U.S. President Donald Trump in the Oval Office of the White House in Washington, D.C. on February 9, 2018.Bloomberg
U.S. President Donald Trump said in an interview published Sunday that Israeli settlements in the West Bank complicate the task of making peace with the Palestinians.
Trump, who spoke in an interview with Israel Hayom newspaper, also said that he is not sure Israel and the Palestinians are looking to reaching a peace agreement.
According to Trump, "I think both sides will have to make hard compromises to reach a peace agreement."
Israel Hayom, which is owned by Republican mega-donor Sheldon Adelson, is considered close to and supportive of Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu.
Asked when the forestalled U.S. peace plan will be released, Trump answered, "We are going to see what goes on. Right now, I would say the Palestinians are not looking to make peace, they are not looking to make peace. And I am not necessarily sure that Israel is looking to make peace. So we are just going to have to see what happens."
On the topic of Israeli settlements in the West Bank, Trump said they "always have complicated making peace" and added that "Israel has to be very careful with the settlements."
When asked if he noticed a change in Iran's conduct ever since he's declared them to be under warning, Trump replied he has "noticed very much a change" in their conduct, but would not attest as to what kind of change. "But there has definitely been a change," Trump concluded.
Excerpts of the interview were published Friday, in which Trump stated that his December 6 declaration recognizing Jerusalem as Israel's capital was the high point of his time in office.
According to Trump, "Obama was terrible" for Israel because he facilitated the nuclear deal with Iran.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
SHARE YOUR OPINION, POST A COMMENT
Fill in the field below to share your opinion and post your comment.
LATEST OPEN LETTERS
- 03-07Letter of Apology
- 20-05Sace palestine
- 20-05Free Palestine
- 17-05A suggestion for some economics problems
- 15-05Free Palestine
- 04-04A moment of the sound of silence, a prayer for Russia
- 03-04The Gilbratar burn out and how it can be solved peacefully
- 03-04Biafra Freedom from Nigeria
- 24-03Open letter to António Guterres, Secretary-General of the United Nations
- 20-03RE: FINDING BEACONS OF HOPE … MEDICAL PERSONNEL IN SYRIA
VIRTUAL POST OFFICE
Latest Blog Articles
- 16-05Donald Trump cares more about re-election than the lives and rights of Palestinians
- 15-05Trump, Netanyahu take evangelical support to a new level
- 14-05Evangelicals find like-minded Christians in unlikely place: Palestinian West Bank
- 14-05Analysis // Israel Braces for Incendiary Week in Gaza, West Bank as Tensions With Iran Expected to Ease
- 10-05De-colonising the mind - a former Zionist fighter's journey
- 10-05How Britain enabled the ethnic cleansing of Palestine
- 10-05Palestinian refugees are demanding to be heard. Will we listen?
- 08-05Does the shadow of anti-Judaism endure in the Catholic subconscious?
- 07-05The Land And Its Promise for Palestinians and Israelis
- 07-05Opinion // A.B. Yehoshua, Don't Give Up on the Two-state Solution in Our Name
- 03-05Palestinian Christians and Muslims call on faith communities to help end the occupation