The forgotten history of the Jewish, anti-Zionist left
Source: Jews for Justice for Palestinians
Interview in In these times, Tue 21 Jul 2020
By Sarah Lazare
An election poster of the General Jewish Labour Bund hung in Kiev in 1917. The heading reads, "Where we live, there is our country!"
In an interview with In These Times Benjamin Balthaser talks about themes he has developed in an academic article “When Anti-Zionism Was Jewish”.
Here he talks about the colonial origins of modern Zionism, and the Jewish left’s quarrel with it at the time, on the grounds that it was a form of right-wing nationalism, fundamentally opposed to working-class internationalism, and a form of imperialism.
There was a decisive shift post-war, and the dominant narrative is that the Holocaust changed Jewish opinion and convinced Jews of Zionism’s necessity.
But there were alternatives, even then, argues Balthasar for whom the Soviet Union’s support for partition in 1947 was a decisive moment in the left’s shift on Zionism.
From today’s vantage point, with Jewish ethno-nationalism in the ascendant, this Jewish anti-Zionist political tradition, provides a rich cultural and political resource for future struggles.
Reproduced with Benjamin Balthaser’s permission
This article was originally published by In These Times on Mon 13 Jul 2020.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
SHARE YOUR OPINION, POST A COMMENT
Fill in the field below to share your opinion and post your comment.
LATEST OPEN LETTERS
- 21-01His Eminence Ayatollah Seyyed Ali Khamenei
- 30-12Support for the Syrian President and the Syrian people
- 05-06To International Community and Leaders around the world
- 03-07Letter of Apology
- 20-05Sace palestine
- 20-05Free Palestine
- 17-05A suggestion for some economics problems
- 15-05Free Palestine
- 04-04A moment of the sound of silence, a prayer for Russia
- 03-04The Gilbratar burn out and how it can be solved peacefully
VIRTUAL POST OFFICE
Latest Blog Articles
- 09-08A New Start With a New Heart …
- 06-08The uncertain Israeli annexation plans in West Bank
- 03-08The Beatitudes in Tourism …
- 29-07The forgotten history of the Jewish, anti-Zionist left
- 26-07Nothing but the Cross …
- 24-07Liberal Zionism begins to make the journey towards a one-state solution
- 24-07Annexation was always on Israel’s agenda
- 21-07Is Israel Uniquely Evil?
- 19-07You Welcomed Me …
- 16-07Time’s Up Israel
- 15-07Good news from Washington: AIPAC, Israel losing to progressive Democrats