Report: Israel imposes $100,000 fines on Palestinian children
Source: Middle East Monitor
Published June 4, 2018
Israeli courts have imposed fines of more than 100,000 shekels ($28,100) on Palestinian children detained in Ofer prison, near Ramallah in the central occupied West Bank, a new report revealed.
A Palestinian child can be being arrested by Israeli security forces [Saeed Qaq/Apaimages]
The Palestinian Commission of Detainees and Ex-Detainees Affairs said in a report yesterday that as many as 32 Palestinian minors were arrested and brought to the prison’s children’s section, 12 of them were arrested from their homes, 18 from the streets and one child was detained at a military checkpoint while another was arrested for not possessing a permit.
According to the report, two minors were arrested after being shot while ten others were attacked during their arrest and interrogation at Israeli detention centres.
The report pointed out that 37 children were sentenced to prison terms ranging from three to 20 months, adding that two minors are still in administrative detention.
Palestinian families, already struggling as a result of a crippled economy due to Israel’s tightening occupation, are often unable to pay fines imposed by the courts. They are left going further in to debt and poverty as a result.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
SHARE YOUR OPINION, POST A COMMENT
Fill in the field below to share your opinion and post your comment.
LATEST OPEN LETTERS
- 05-06To International Community and Leaders around the world
- 03-07Letter of Apology
- 20-05Sace palestine
- 20-05Free Palestine
- 17-05A suggestion for some economics problems
- 15-05Free Palestine
- 04-04A moment of the sound of silence, a prayer for Russia
- 03-04The Gilbratar burn out and how it can be solved peacefully
- 03-04Biafra Freedom from Nigeria
- 24-03Open letter to António Guterres, Secretary-General of the United Nations
VIRTUAL POST OFFICE
Latest Blog Articles
- 13-08The Manure You Can’t Stick Back into the Horse …
- 03-08Opinion // The Sentence That Rewrote the History of the Jewish People
- 30-07The Jewish Nation State Law: If Israel Practiced Democracy, It’d Be Called Palestine
- 30-07PALESTINIAN ACTIVIST AHED TAMIMI RELEASED, BUT EXPERTS SAY ISRAEL HAS BIGGER PROBLEM
- 26-07Oh Israel, Israel, what have you done?
- 23-07Short Cuts
- 18-07Young Evangelicals Feel the Complexity of Conflict After Traveling to Israel
- 18-07How Israel enshrines apartheid into law
- 28-06Donald Trump policies are hurting Palestinians and Middle East peace prospects
- 25-06WATCH // Trump on Jerusalem Embassy Move: 'Evangelicals Appreciate It More Than the Jews'
- 25-06The More Plausible And Reasonable History Of Palestine And Israel – OpEd