Report: Israel imposes $100,000 fines on Palestinian children
Source: Middle East Monitor
Published June 4, 2018
Israeli courts have imposed fines of more than 100,000 shekels ($28,100) on Palestinian children detained in Ofer prison, near Ramallah in the central occupied West Bank, a new report revealed.
A Palestinian child can be being arrested by Israeli security forces [Saeed Qaq/Apaimages]
The Palestinian Commission of Detainees and Ex-Detainees Affairs said in a report yesterday that as many as 32 Palestinian minors were arrested and brought to the prison’s children’s section, 12 of them were arrested from their homes, 18 from the streets and one child was detained at a military checkpoint while another was arrested for not possessing a permit.
According to the report, two minors were arrested after being shot while ten others were attacked during their arrest and interrogation at Israeli detention centres.
The report pointed out that 37 children were sentenced to prison terms ranging from three to 20 months, adding that two minors are still in administrative detention.
Palestinian families, already struggling as a result of a crippled economy due to Israel’s tightening occupation, are often unable to pay fines imposed by the courts. They are left going further in to debt and poverty as a result.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
SHARE YOUR OPINION, POST A COMMENT
Fill in the field below to share your opinion and post your comment.
LATEST OPEN LETTERS
- 05-06To International Community and Leaders around the world
- 03-07Letter of Apology
- 20-05Sace palestine
- 20-05Free Palestine
- 17-05A suggestion for some economics problems
- 15-05Free Palestine
- 04-04A moment of the sound of silence, a prayer for Russia
- 03-04The Gilbratar burn out and how it can be solved peacefully
- 03-04Biafra Freedom from Nigeria
- 24-03Open letter to António Guterres, Secretary-General of the United Nations
VIRTUAL POST OFFICE
Latest Blog Articles
- 18-01Opinion // I'm Shaving Off My Zionism, the Worst a Man Can Get
- 18-01The moral travesty of Israel seeking Arab, Iranian money for its alleged Nakba
- 03-01Opinion // 'Trump Will Make Palestine Great Again': The Most Combative, Uncomfortable Op-eds of 2018
- 10-12Why Auschwitz survivor Esther Bejarano supports BDS
- 10-12Evangelical Christian Groups Invested $65 Million to Jewish Settlements
- 06-12'Israel continues to invade Palestinian territory'
- 04-12How Palestinians in Jerusalem are being targeted in a campaign of ethnic cleansing
- 04-12Dutch ministry calls on Jews around world to criticize Israeli occupation
- 03-12A LIFE IN EXILE
- 03-12The making of a Gazan Palestinian
- 30-11How one of Israel's veteran activists came to support (some) sanctions