Palestinian youth in Nablus: 'Unite and stop with the division'
Source: +972 Magazine
By +972 Magazine Staff
Published February 20, 2018
Palestinian youth demonstrate in Nablus, demanding peace and calling for non-violent opposition to the occupation.
Palestinian youth protest in the West Bank city of Nablus. February 19, 2018. (Courtesy of Zimam)
Palestinian youth from across the West Bank demonstrated near Al Najah University in Nablus on Monday. The demonstrators held a long banner bearing slogans calling for peace, supporting non-violent struggle, and thanking the countries that opposed U.S. President Donald Trump’s recognition of Jerusalem as the capital of Israel. The demonstration was organised by Zimam, a Palestinian grassroots movement.
Samer Makhlouf, CEO of Zimam, said that the demonstration was intended not only to provide Palestinian youth “with a platform to express their anger and frustration in a constructive way,” but also to fight extremism and promote unity within Palestinian society.
“We believe in justice, in international law, and we are trying to encourage the community to adopt nonviolence in order to accomplish our goals,” Makhlouf told me by phone on Monday. “We need to unite behind one strategy and stop with the division.”
“We want to build a Palestinian society that is democratic, tolerant, secular,” Makhlouf added. “We see this as an important step as we approach statehood and independence.”
Palestinian youth hold protest banners in the West Bank city of Nablus. February 19, 2018. (Courtesy of Zimam)
Founded in late 2015, Zimam has 22 chapters in the West Bank and Gaza Strip and a membership of 1,500, Makhlouf said.
According to the movement’s website, the movement is “creating a human infrastructure that is dedicated to building the independent, fully sovereign Palestinian state, participating in the nonviolent popular activities to resist the Israeli occupation using all legitimate means according to the international law.” Zimam, in Arabic, means “the reins of the horse.”
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
SHARE YOUR OPINION, POST A COMMENT
Fill in the field below to share your opinion and post your comment.
LATEST OPEN LETTERS
- 21-01His Eminence Ayatollah Seyyed Ali Khamenei
- 30-12Support for the Syrian President and the Syrian people
- 05-06To International Community and Leaders around the world
- 03-07Letter of Apology
- 20-05Sace palestine
- 20-05Free Palestine
- 17-05A suggestion for some economics problems
- 15-05Free Palestine
- 04-04A moment of the sound of silence, a prayer for Russia
- 03-04The Gilbratar burn out and how it can be solved peacefully
VIRTUAL POST OFFICE
Latest Blog Articles
- 07-04What Do We Do Now? Larger Lessons From The Pandemic
- 03-04Our Finest Hour
- 02-04Beyond Fear: The Civilization of Love …
- 31-03Ecumenical Organizations Join in Unprecedented Call
- 24-03The coronavirus isn’t alive. That’s why it’s so hard to kill.
- 24-03Human rights org calls on Israel to release all Palestinian child detainees in response to COVID-19 crisis
- 23-03'Trump Is Right About the Coronavirus. The WHO Is Wrong,' Says Israeli Expert
- 20-03Coronavirus explained: 22 questions with epidemiologist guiding Israeli response
- 20-03Take Charge with God …
- 17-03Better Safe than Sorry
- 16-03A Test of Our Faith and Our Society