Open Letter to Theresa May: On 100th anniversary of Balfour Declaration recognize an independent Palestinian state
March 22, 2017
By: Rev. Dr. Alex Awad
Open letter from Rev. Dr. Alex Awad to The Honorable Theresa May, Prime Minister of the United Kingdom
The Honorable Theresa May,
Prime Minister of the United Kingdom:
I am a Palestinian who was born in Jerusalem in 1946 during the British Mandate over Palestine. During the first Arab-Israeli war in May 1948 I was two years old. My father, a civilian, was shot and killed in crossfire between the Zionist Haganah militias and the Jordanian army, leaving my mother to care for seven children. The oldest of my siblings was eleven and the youngest six months old. Soon after the death of my father, our neighborhood was taken over by the Israelis and we fled, becoming refugees. As I grew up, I began to ask questions about why my father was killed, what caused the Israel/Palestine conflict and what triggered all the suffering of millions of Palestinians and Jews in the last 100 years.
In time, I learned about the Balfour Declaration and the British Mandate over Palestine. I discovered that in 1917, the British Foreign Secretary sent a letter, later called the Balfour Declaration, to Lord Rothschild and Zionist leaders, promising to support the creation of a homeland for the Jews in Palestine. After WWI, against the objections of my people, the British government colonized Palestine and made it possible for the Zionist movement to take over our homeland.
Your Honor, there is no way that your country can undo the tragic history of the last 100 years. All the wealth of Great Britain can’t compensate me and my fellow compatriots for the death, injury, loss of land and enormous suffering that came upon us and continue to bring pain to us due to the Balfour Declaration and other oppressive policies of your predecessors. I look back to the past only to remind you of the grave injustices that my people and I have endured, due partly to the United Kingdom’s past policies. I seek no apologies and no compensations. And as a Palestinian Christian, I offer you and the British people total pardon.
As I look to the future, I believe that your government can help to end to the Israel/Palestine conflict and bury the memory of the Balfour Declaration, and I call on you to have the courage and determination to do so.
Britain was among the first in creating this tragic conflict but shouldn’t be the last in taking positive steps to resolve it.
This year, which marks the 100th anniversary of the Balfour Declaration, your government can help Israelis and Palestinians begin to find the path to a just and genuine reconciliation.
Let 2017 be the year that Britain conducts its policy for Israel and Palestine independently of the influence and dictates of the United States.
A first step would be for Britain to recognize an independent Palestinian State in the West Bank and in the Gaza Strip. Once your government takes this courageous act, many reluctant European countries would be encouraged to follow suit. Already 138 countries including the Holy See recognize Palestinian statehood.
Your contribution to ending the Israel/Palestine conflict would not only save Israeli and Palestinian lives but could also usher in an era of peace and help to end bloody conflicts and acts of violence elsewhere in the Middle East and throughout the world.
Prime Minister, let Great Britain lead the way to peace under your brave and wise guidance.
Rev. Dr. Alex Awad
Author, pastor, and retired missionary of the United Methodist Church
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
SHARE YOUR OPINION, POST A COMMENT
Fill in the field below to share your opinion and post your comment.
LATEST OPEN LETTERS
- 20-05Sace palestine
- 20-05Free Palestine
- 17-05A suggestion for some economics problems
- 15-05Free Palestine
- 04-04A moment of the sound of silence, a prayer for Russia
- 03-04The Gilbratar burn out and how it can be solved peacefully
- 03-04Biafra Freedom from Nigeria
- 24-03Open letter to António Guterres, Secretary-General of the United Nations
- 20-03RE: FINDING BEACONS OF HOPE … MEDICAL PERSONNEL IN SYRIA
- 23-02Vice President Mike Mence
VIRTUAL POST OFFICE
Latest Blog Articles
- 27-06I was taught to hate Palestinians — until I met one
- 19-06What does it take to move from pseudo-democracy to real participation?
- 16-06The block impeding coalition against Iran
- 15-06UNICEF child welfare report finds Israel among worst in developed world
- 14-06Haley slams UN human rights report for ‘singling out Israel’
- 13-06Rivlin: Decision on Israel's Future Looms - and It May Tear Us Apart
- 13-06Liberal Zionists think the ’67 occupation is all about them
- 12-061,800 US rabbis call on Israel to end occupation, lay groundwork for peace
- 07-06US envoy Haley in Jerusalem vows to defend Israel at UN
- 07-06UN chief condemns Zionist occupation of Palestine
- 04-06Is Forgiving My Enemy A Muslim Tradition?