Lecture by Angela Davis Canceled after Pressure from Pro-Israel Students
Source: Palestine Chronicle
Published April 1, 2021
Iconic activist Angela Davis. (Photo: Oregon State University, via Wikimedia Commons)
Butler University in Indianapolis has canceled a scheduled event featuring iconic political activist Angela Davis this week in what seems to be another example of the ongoing campaign by pro-Israel lobbyists against the American civil rights movement.
Davis was scheduled to speak at an event headed “Joint Struggle and Collective Liberation” today, but the university authorities decided on March 29 to cancel it, without letting the organizers know.
Tell Butler University: Don't silence Angela Davis— Jewish Voice for Peace (@jvplive) March 31, 2021
Butler's admin canceled a student-sponsored event with Dr. Angela Davis over her support for Palestinian rights
Write to Butler's administration: Apologize to Dr. Davis and reinstate this vital event!https://t.co/CfuXetu0pe pic.twitter.com/yoY6lSPYvz
According to the university, the cancellation was due to procedural errors. However, campus and community organizations issued a joint statement saying that Davis was targeted over her support for the Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions (BDS) campaign.
“Days before Butler University’s shameless censorship of Dr. Angela Davis, the Student Government Association was bombarded by pressure from Zionist students who claimed to oppose the event because of her support for the Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions (BDS) movement, a grassroots demand for nonviolent economic pressure against Israel’s illegal military occupation of Palestine,” explained the organizations.
Their statement added that this was not the first time that pro-Israel students have tried to “silence free speech and prevent political events on campus.”
On March 29, without warning or discussion, Butler University administration canceled an event titled “Joint Struggle and Collective Liberation,” a conversation with the revolutionary author, abolitionist and anti-racist activist Angela Davis. https://t.co/nXa8spWTB2— Haymarket Books (@haymarketbooks) March 31, 2021
Dismissing the university’s explanation for the cancellation, the organizations continued:
|“Students working on the event have planned countless past events for which these procedures have not been enforced. The decision to arbitrarily enforce these procedures now is an attempt to specifically censor Angela Davis. It is grounded in the school’s history of racism and highlights the lack of genuine support for students of color, academic freedom and political engagement at Butler University, a predominantly white institution.”|
This isn’t the first time that Davis, who has spent decades fighting for civil rights in the US, has been targeted by pro-Israel groups. Two years ago she was denied a prestigious award due to her support for BDS.
Article from @michaelarria in @Mondoweiss— Palestine Deep Dive (@PDeepdive) April 1, 2021
"The school is blaming the cancellation on procedural errors, but a group of campus and community organizations put out a statement saying Davis was targeted over her BDS support."https://t.co/JztMnaQCbn
Although the US Civil Rights Institute apologized later for revoking the award, campaigners slammed the decision, saying that the apology was “too little and too late”.
The cancellation of Davis’s lecture is part of a growing trend for speakers to be targeted because of their support for the Palestinian cause. Just over a month ago, American activist and philosopher Cornel West said that he was confident that it was his criticism of Israel that cost him tenure at the prestigious Harvard University.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
SHARE YOUR OPINION, POST A COMMENT
Fill in the field below to share your opinion and post your comment.
LATEST OPEN LETTERS
- 08-10Save our mountains
- 21-01His Eminence Ayatollah Seyyed Ali Khamenei
- 30-12Support for the Syrian President and the Syrian people
- 05-06To International Community and Leaders around the world
- 03-07Letter of Apology
- 20-05Sace palestine
- 20-05Free Palestine
- 17-05A suggestion for some economics problems
- 15-05Free Palestine
- 04-04A moment of the sound of silence, a prayer for Russia
VIRTUAL POST OFFICE
Latest Blog Articles
- 16-04The Jewish Women Who Posed an 'Existential Threat' to Israel by Marrying Arab Men
- 15-04Analysis | Israel at 73: Alive, Kicking and Ailing
- 13-04Opinion | They're Israel's Far Right, Pro-ethnic Cleansing Nationalists. But Don't Call Them 'Nazis'
- 13-04The Three-State Solution
- 13-04Why I left the cult
- 13-04The US media is touting Israel’s Covid recovery. But occupied Palestinians are left out
- 12-04The Evangelical Pope | Love One Another!
- 07-04William Barber preaches at Easter vigil service spotlighting Christian Palestinians
- 06-04Opinion | A President in Handcuffs: Why Palestinians Should Vote for Barghouti
- 06-04Blinken tells Israel: Palestinians should enjoy same rights, freedoms as you do
- 06-04Israel is losing the fight to obscure its apartheid character