How Israel-UAE deal obliterates the illusion of Arab unity
Source: Jews for Justice for Palestinians
Published August 27, 2020
Global solidarity with Palestinians, best expressed in the BDS movement, is crucial to the future of the Palestinian cause
Palestinians protest the Israel-UAE deal in the village of Turmus Ayya on 19 August 2020
Hamid Dabashi writes in Middle East Eye:
Amid the chaotic calamity of a catastrophic presidency, Donald Trump found a moment of respite in mid-August to look presidential and announce that two major US military bases, “Israel” and the “UAE”, would establish “full normalisation of relations”. We had no clue they had any abnormal relations.
Trump and his chief Zionist-in-residence at the White House, Jared Kushner, tried to sell the strategic linkage between these two US military installations as an “historic” event, no less. The pro-Israel New York Times, journalist Thomas Friedman, chimed in to call it “a geopolitical earthquake”. When you live in the US and follow the news, you are used to such delusional gibberish. You read the news and you wait for the other shoe to drop; it never does.
Flanked by his former bankruptcy lawyer, whom he rewarded with the position of US ambassador to Israel, David Friedman, and Kushner, Trump could not deliver one factual sentence without tacking on the lie that in exchange for this “deal” – for Trump, everything is a “deal” – Israel would not be “declaring sovereignty” over occupied West Bank territory.
This, of course, is a blatant lie. Israel will not rest until it has gobbled up the entirety of Palestine, and then some more in Lebanon, Syria, Jordan and Egypt. As a European colonial project, Zionism cannot but territorially expand its garrison state.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
SHARE YOUR OPINION, POST A COMMENT
Fill in the field below to share your opinion and post your comment.
LATEST OPEN LETTERS
- 21-01His Eminence Ayatollah Seyyed Ali Khamenei
- 30-12Support for the Syrian President and the Syrian people
- 05-06To International Community and Leaders around the world
- 03-07Letter of Apology
- 20-05Sace palestine
- 20-05Free Palestine
- 17-05A suggestion for some economics problems
- 15-05Free Palestine
- 04-04A moment of the sound of silence, a prayer for Russia
- 03-04The Gilbratar burn out and how it can be solved peacefully
VIRTUAL POST OFFICE
Latest Blog Articles
- 29-09Arab, European states call Israel and Palestine to restart talks
- 27-09God’s Infinite Love and Unconditional Grace …
- 24-09How Do Democrats and Republicans Differ on Palestine and Israel?
- 24-09Why the Persian Gulf is Ignoring Palestine
- 20-09Our Father in Heaven …
- 18-09Happy Rosh Hashanah
- 17-09Are Christian Zionists the ‘Largest Pro-Israel Lobby’?
- 17-09Opinion / Trump and Netanyahu's Big Fat Fake Peace Deal
- 13-09Power to Forgive, to Reconcile, to Live
- 11-09Special Edition: Hora Tertia … In Memory
- 10-09Israeli Filmmakers Put AIPAC and U.S. Evangelicals Under the Spotlight – and Are Alarmed at What They Find