A Star is Born
Source: The times of Israel
By Abraham A. van Kempen
The Hague, 25 March 2022 | When the current President of Ukraine, Volodymyr Zelensky, Zooms into The Hague on 31 March 2022, our House of Parliament in The Netherlands will warmly, if not jubilantly, welcome him as a global star. Who hasn't heard nor seen him? Of course, we'll give him a standing ovation as has happened in Rome, Washington DC, London, and elsewhere. The women especially like his demeanor and style. President Zelensky might be the only head of state who looks good in T-shirts, notwithstanding Canada's Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, but he doesn't wear T-shirts officially.
But we Dutch are down-to-earth and straightforward, known for our practical, no-nonsense bluntness. We're the 14th wealthiest nation with a population of only 16 million for a good reason. We won't risk our children's future by giving Zelensky what he wants. Most of us are willing to provide the people of Ukraine the shirts off our backs, our right leg even but not full EU membership nor NATO affiliation. Besides, we need Russian oil and gas. Our reserves won't last forever.
So dear Volodymyr, go to Moscow and cut a deal with Vladimir. Before meeting with Vladimir, go to your people and ask, "Do you want to remain cannon fodder and human shields in service of the Free World?" Though most Ukrainians have voted to become part of the EU and NATO, would they have done so if they were apprised to become cannon fodder? Is bloodshed the only way? (see Vladimir and Volodymyr Rulers of Peace by Abraham A. van Kempen).
Let's reason together. May we help? Could you settle for limited open borders with freedom of movement for a select group of Ukrainians to work and live in the European Union? It's a start. It doesn't have to be all or nothing. Why should people die for nothing? The world powers are dangerously at each other's throats. We must get back to square one. Trust is the thrust that moves mountains. It will take several generations to rebuild the bridges that the World Community has burned, conduits that could again become pipelines of progress and peace.
Good luck, Mr. Zelensky.
"In the economic war that has now begun, there may come a time when Europeans and Americans, selfishly horrified by high energy prices and the financial shock caused by the invasion, turn Mr. Zelensky from a heroic Ukrainian resistance fighter into a stubborn blockage to a necessary endgame.
He may emerge as the triumphant leader of a still independent Ukraine, a world figure to set alongside Gandhi and Mandela. Or there may yet be a much darker ending.
For all the army's failures, the Russian military advantage remains enormous. The day may come when Mr. Zelensky has no escape from the Russians coming after him.
Churchill would have understood that as well. A few days before addressing the Commons, he spoke to colleagues in the cabinet about not giving in until he was lying on the ground, choking in his blood.
In the nature of courageous leadership, you don't know the end of the story when you utter your memorable — and perhaps decisive — words."
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
SHARE YOUR OPINION, POST A COMMENT
Fill in the field below to share your opinion and post your comment.
LATEST OPEN LETTERS
- 06-02Non military defence of Ukraine
- 02-01Avoiding Human Extinction
- 01-06A request to save the disabled children from ISIS
- 08-10Save our mountains
- 21-01His Eminence Ayatollah Seyyed Ali Khamenei
- 30-12Support for the Syrian President and the Syrian people
- 05-06To International Community and Leaders around the world
- 03-07Letter of Apology
- 20-05Sace palestine
- 20-05Free Palestine
VIRTUAL POST OFFICE
Latest Blog Articles
- 15-08The Evangelical Pope | A Balance of Power Through a Balance of Terror?
- 12-08Our Friday News Analysis | What's Mine is Mine, What's Yours is Mine Also
- 12-08Opinion | Next Time Israel Fights Gaza, It Could Face a Nuclear Iran
- 10-08Our Wednesday News Analysis | Why Resistance Matters: Palestinians are Challenging Israel’s Unilateralism, Dominance
- 09-08Opinion | Who Cares About a Child Killed in Gaza
- 09-08Why Resistance Matters: Palestinians are Challenging Israel’s Unilateralism, Dominance
- 09-08Wake me up if I survive this war
- 08-08The Evangelical Pope | A Premonition to Eternity
- 05-08Our Friday News Analysis | Blood is Thicker than Water
- 03-08Wednesday Edition | Opinion | Hey Israel, Let's Become a Normal Country
- 03-08The Long Con(federation): Understanding the latest attempts to legitimize Israeli colonization