Geraldo Rivera regrets not backing Palestinians in Second Intifada
By Philip Weiss
Published April 3, 2018
Another datapoint in the discourse’s march to the left. On Fox News, Geraldo Rivera says that the Israel Palestine conflict is the “original sin” of the United States, from which “a lot of our problems stem”. And his big regret is that he did not back the oppressed Palestinians during the Second Intifada.
Rivera, who was raised Jewish, appeared on the Fox show, The Five, on March 30, to promote a new book; and host Greg Gutfeld asked, “Did you ever regret a story that you did?”
That’s an excellent excellent question. Let me tell you what I regret. I regret in 2002 backing down from backing the Palestinians in their conflict with Israel, the Second Intifada. Because I saw with my own eyes how, and I know this is going to resonate very poorly with the people watching right now– but still, I have to tell you how I feel. I saw at firsthand how those people were– and now you just had 14, 15 people killed in Gaza. Palestinians killed by the IDF forces. I saw what an awful life they live under constant occupation and oppression, and people keep saying, “Oh, they are terrorists, or they are this or they are that.”
They are an occupied people and I regret chickening out after 2002 and not staying on that story and adding my voice as a Jew, adding my voice to those counseling a two-state solution. It’s so easy to put them out of sight, out of mind, and let them rot, and be killed, and keep this thing festering. And I think a lot of our current problems stem from – that’s almost our original sin, Palestine and Israel. I want a two-state solution. I want President Trump to re-energize the peace process.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
SHARE YOUR OPINION, POST A COMMENT
Fill in the field below to share your opinion and post your comment.
LATEST OPEN LETTERS
- 05-06To International Community and Leaders around the world
- 03-07Letter of Apology
- 20-05Sace palestine
- 20-05Free Palestine
- 17-05A suggestion for some economics problems
- 15-05Free Palestine
- 04-04A moment of the sound of silence, a prayer for Russia
- 03-04The Gilbratar burn out and how it can be solved peacefully
- 03-04Biafra Freedom from Nigeria
- 24-03Open letter to António Guterres, Secretary-General of the United Nations
VIRTUAL POST OFFICE
Latest Blog Articles
- 28-06Donald Trump policies are hurting Palestinians and Middle East peace prospects
- 25-06WATCH // Trump on Jerusalem Embassy Move: 'Evangelicals Appreciate It More Than the Jews'
- 25-06The More Plausible And Reasonable History Of Palestine And Israel – OpEd
- 25-06Ending colonialism in Palestine
- 25-06Corbyn Says Labour Government Would Recognize State Of Palestine
- 21-06U.S. close to releasing Mideast peace proposal that Palestinian leadership may immediately reject
- 21-06When racism in Israel becomes the 'legitimate right' of its Jewish citizens
- 21-06'You never told me': Confronting American Jewish myths about Israel
- 17-06In Israel, top Indonesian cleric calls for ‘compassion’ between Muslims and Jews
- 12-06Opinion // Should Palestinians 'Return' to Judaism?
- 12-06What would you do if soldiers dragged your son out of bed in the middle of the night?