Corbyn Says Labour Government Would Recognize State Of Palestine
Published June 24, 2018
(JTA) — British Labour Party leader Jeremy Corbyn, under fire for having anti-Israel views born out of anti-Semitism, said in a tweet that a Labour-led government would recognize Palestine as a state.
Corbyn, on a tour of camps in Jordan for Syrian and Palestinian refugees as part of his first international trip outside of Europe since becoming Labour Party leader in 2015, said in a tweet on Saturday: “Today I’ll visit the Al-Baqa’a refugee camp which was first created in 1968, where 100,000 Palestinians live. The next Labour government will recognise Palestine as a state as one step towards a genuine two-state solution to the Israel-Palestine conflict.”
On Friday during a tour of Zaatari, Jordan’s largest camp for Syrian refugees, Corbyn criticized the administration of U.S. President Donald Trump for recognizing Jerusalem as Israel’s capital and called moving the U.S. Embassy there a “catastrophic mistake.”
He also said: “I think there has to be a recognition of the rights of the Palestinian people to their own state which we as a Labour Party said we would recognize in government as a full state as part of the United Nations.” A Palestinian state would be recognized “very early on” under a Labour government, he said.
Jewish groups have accused Corbyn, a hard-left politician, of tolerating and at times encouraging expressions of anti-Semitism disguised as anti-Zionism or anti-capitalism by thousands of supporters who joined the party under him.
The party has kicked out some members caught engaging in anti-Semitic rhetoric. But under Corbyn — who in 2009 called Hamas and Hezbollah his “friends” whom he said he was “honored” to host in parliament — Labour has also readmitted or refrained from.
The post Corbyn says a Labour-led government would quickly recognize Palestine as a state appeared first on Jewish Telegraphic Agency.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
SHARE YOUR OPINION, POST A COMMENT
Fill in the field below to share your opinion and post your comment.
LATEST OPEN LETTERS
- 05-06To International Community and Leaders around the world
- 03-07Letter of Apology
- 20-05Sace palestine
- 20-05Free Palestine
- 17-05A suggestion for some economics problems
- 15-05Free Palestine
- 04-04A moment of the sound of silence, a prayer for Russia
- 03-04The Gilbratar burn out and how it can be solved peacefully
- 03-04Biafra Freedom from Nigeria
- 24-03Open letter to António Guterres, Secretary-General of the United Nations
VIRTUAL POST OFFICE
Latest Blog Articles
- 08-02Report: Palestinian Christian Diplomacy in Fight against Christian Zionists
- 23-01Time to Break the Silence on Palestine
- 18-01Opinion // I'm Shaving Off My Zionism, the Worst a Man Can Get
- 18-01The moral travesty of Israel seeking Arab, Iranian money for its alleged Nakba
- 03-01Opinion // 'Trump Will Make Palestine Great Again': The Most Combative, Uncomfortable Op-eds of 2018
- 10-12Why Auschwitz survivor Esther Bejarano supports BDS
- 10-12Evangelical Christian Groups Invested $65 Million to Jewish Settlements
- 06-12'Israel continues to invade Palestinian territory'
- 04-12How Palestinians in Jerusalem are being targeted in a campaign of ethnic cleansing
- 04-12Dutch ministry calls on Jews around world to criticize Israeli occupation
- 03-12A LIFE IN EXILE